Sacrament of Reconciliation
The sacrament of reconciliation is celebrated every Saturday at 4:30 p.m. or by appointment with the priest
For children preparing for First Sacraments:
- Formal catechetical preparation for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion usually takes place during the second-grade year at the parish.
- Sacramental Preparation is in addition to participation in a formal, systematic religious education program, either at the parish or through attendance at a Catholic school.
- Consistent Mass attendance and religious education prior to the Sacramental year is highly recommended so that your child is building a foundation in the faith that can be built upon during their sacramental formation.
Prior to beginning preparation for sacraments in second grade, there are elements of readiness that should be discerned by the parents. They are:
- Has the child been baptized and reached the age of reason (about seven years)?
- Does the child know the difference between right and wrong?
- Can the child distinguish between mistakes or accidents and deliberate wrongdoing?
- Can the child express sorrow for sin?
- Can the child forgive others?
- Does the child pray at home and at Mass?
- Does the child relate to Jesus as one who forgives?
The preparation process at Sacred Heart for First Reconciliation is a home-based program.
- Parents are asked to attend 2 parents sessions and then, using provided resources, work with their child to prepare.
- Parents and Children are asked to attend a 3-hour retreat at the end of the preparation process.
For the 2016-2017 School Year the preparation dates for First Reconciliation are:
- Parent Session – Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
- Parent / Child Retreat – Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 9 a.m.
- Opportunity to Celebrate the Sacrament – Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 4 p.m.