Thanksgiving Baskets Outreach 2019
129 Households were served.
282 people (180 adults and 102 children)
Sacred Heart shoppers provided over 4,386 cans of nonperishable food, which volunteers
packed into 190 sturdy reusable shopping bags. Additionally each of the following food
pantries: St Peter’s Catholic Church on the Eastern Shore, Hope 4 Life (serving families
in Norfolk /Virginia Beach), and St Mary’s Basilica in Norfolk received 3 extra large
boxes of food to help stock their shelves over the holidays.
We collected 35 turkeys, 77 bags of Maseca Flour, and over 180 home baked desserts
Sacred Heart parishioners volunteered!
- 15 Sacred Heart middle school youth and 3 adults baked on Sunday Nov 24th
- 10 SH high school youth and 8 adults sorted donations Nov 24th Sunday evening
- 20 adults and 6 children packed boxes Nov 25th Monday afternoon
- 12 hardy souls loaded trucks and cars Nov 26th Tuesday morning
- Thank you Father Paul, who blessed the food on Tuesday morning Nov 26th
Our donations were distributed by the following agencies:
- Easter Shore Migrant Ministry: 25 households: 62 Adults + 70 Children = 132
- Virginia Supportive Housing: 80 individual adults/households served = 80
- Community Services Board: 8 households: 20 Adults + 8 Children = 28
- Hope 4 Life: 10 households: 12 Adults + 24 Children = 36
- Sacred Heart helped 6 individuals with bags of food as part of our outreach.